Nokia 6.1 Plus is the “most awaited Nokia smartphone” of 2018 in markets outside China and there is much to like about this Nokia beauty. It is the first Nokia smartphone to come with a 19:9 Full screen display with a “notch” that can be hidden.
Nokia 6.1 Plus also comes with a more powerful processor in Snapdragon 636 than the Nokia 6.1. It is also the first Nokia smartphone to come with AI imaging tricks.
Nokia 6.1 Plus Quick Review
- Premium glass sandwich design housed within a sturdy aluminum frame – the stainless steel accents around the camera and the buttons, further add to the the aesthetics
- Compact form-factor – one of the rare mid-range devices today that’s built for one-handed use
- Fast fingerprint scanner
- Although glass designs always tend to be more premium, they also tend to be slippery, fingerprint magnets, and less durable (so you might want to use a case)
- Nice, tall, ‘notch’ based display – bright and vibrant – with useful add-ons like ‘night light’ and ‘ambient display’
- Stock Android UI keeps things nice and simple and being part of the Android One series, you are ensured regular Android updates for a good 2 years
- A very capable mid-range chipset, the Snapdragon 636, ensures performance that is on par with the other top phone in this price bracket, the Redmi Note 5 Pro – almost anything you throw at the phone is handled well
- Decent set of dual cameras on the rear, that can produce reasonably good pictures in good light, and also take decent bokeh shots
- Decent front camera too – it takes decently well-detailed selfies that are sharp and saturated
- Both the rear and front cameras are not very good in sub-optimal lighting conditions – and even overall, not up to the high standards of the Redmi Note 5 Pro, or the Mi A2
- The camera app on the Nokia 6.1 Plus is somewhat cluttered too
- Quick charging support
- Battery life is ok, but definitely could have been better given the competition – it will last you the day with moderate use, but with heavy use you will need to recharge it by late evening
- On the whole, the Nokia 6.1 is a good alternative to the Redmi Note 5 Pro in the mid range (the Redmi Note 5 Pro has the better camera, and better battery life, but Nokia 6.1 wins with stock Android, and is more compact) and gives you both some serious style and substance on a budget
Nokia 6.1 Plus design:
Nokia 6.1 Plus doesn’t really follow any of the existing Nokia smartphones in terms of design language. It sports a Glass unibody and is the first Nokia smartphone to sport a notch. While it does feel every bit like a premium Flagship smartphone design wise, it is not as robust as Nokia 6.1. It in fact has that delicate feeling which will make you buy a cover for it as soon as you buy one.
What works in favour of Nokia 6.1 Plus is that it offers a lot of screen real-estate with a compact body which is only possible in such kind of full display design. It feels light and looks pretty. Though it looks more premium with the notch as compared to the notch hidden.
Here is the unboxing of the Nokia 6.1 Plus Black color Indian model.
Nokia 6.1 Plus display review:
- Nokia 6.1 Plus comes with a 2.5D curved Corning Gorilla glass display
- The display is bright and ideal brightness level is around 50-60% in most of the cases. Adaptive brightness is calibrated properly and does its work in most of cases well.
- Outdoor readability is quite good and perhaps top-notch when compared to other mid-range competitive smartphones
- It has good color interpretation and contrast. Colors come out vibrant, even though it is an LCD display
- Viewing angles are excellent. The best that you will see on any of the displays out there
- Fingerprint resistance is a very nice feature of Nokia 6 2018 display and you don’t need to wipe it time and again
Nokia 6.1 Plus imaging samples & camera review:
Nokia 6.1 Plus comes with Dual-Cameras on the back. You can have a quick look on the rear camera specs below.
- Dual Main: 16MP AF/F2.0/1.0um
- Dual 2nd: 5MP BW/FF/F2.4/1.12um
- Flash: Dual Tone Flash
In low-light too it shines and captures good amount of light even in without flash scenarios. Check camera samples capture with Nokia 6.1 Plus camera below.
Nokia 6.1 Plus Software, AI tricks & Camera UI:
Nokia 6.1 Plus comes with Pure unadulterated Android Oreo 8.1 out of the box. It has the ability to hide the notch and sports features like double tap to wake up and Ambient display (lift to check).
The camera UI on Nokia 6.1 Plus is similar to that seen on other non-Zeiss branded Nokia smartphones but packs AI enabled face recognition for both camera. You can add animated masks/stickers/filters directly from the camera app. It also has PIP mode and live-streaming options.
Nokia 6.1 Plus Performance review:
Nokia 6.1 Plus comes running Android Oreo 8.1.0 out of the box and is powered by Snapdragon 636 processor. The Indian retail model comes with 4GB of RAM and the processor-RAM-Pure Android combo makes it fly.
Nokia 6.1 Plus feels snappy and dependable. It handles both daily and advanced tasks without breaking sweat. Gaming is enjoyable on Nokia 6.1 Plus 2018 and multitasking is very efficient.
With 5 super-heavy games (PUBG, GTA SA, Clash of the Clans, Injustice: Gods among us and Mortal Kombat X) many browser tabs, Camera, and many other apps open in the background it hardly shows any signs of stress. Apps and games resume well from the background.
Nokia 6.1 Plus Battery Life, Fast Charging & Call quality:
Nokia 6.1 Plus has an excellent battery life and I have been getting around 36-40 hrs of battery life with heavy “blogger” usage of the device, which involves lots of browsing, apps testing and daily chores. It may be around 40-44 hrs for a moderately heavy usage scenario and that is really very impressive considering it is a mid-range Android smartphone. Screen-on time typically varies between 7-8.5 hrs for heavy usage scenario.
Nokia 6.1 Plus supports charging via USB-C port and the fast charging is really feels like a must-have feature nowadays.
Nokia 6.1 Plus comes with a Glass unibody design and offers stellar call quality because of its innovative Antenna design. Call reception is usually very good. I didn’t face any issue like call drops etc and it holds well even during long conversations.
Nokia 6.1 Plus Positives & Negatives:
- Glass unibody makes it feel less robust than its metal-body brethren
- Premium glass unibody design with slim profile
- Display is very good for a mid-ranger with best-in-class color interpretation, high brightness, and outdoor readability.
- Performance wise very capable
- New AI imaging features may appeal to many
Nokia 6.1 Plus Conclusion:
Nokia 6.1 Plus offers much better display to screen ratio than any other Nokia smartphone (Over 90%) out there. It has a beautiful display with very good video watching and gaming experience.
Coming to performance it can give higher priced smartphones a run for its money. It is a champion performer when it comes to heavy multitasking and can handle games like PUBG, GTA SA, Injustice: Gods among us and Mortal Kombat simultaneously very well.
Being an Android One smartphone, Nokia 6.1 Plus has guaranteed two years of Android OS update and 3 years of monthly security updates.
- Getting all this for a price of Rs 15999 in India is a great deal for a smartphone like Nokia 6.1 Plus and we won’t hesitate in recommending it outright.
- PERFORMANCEOcta core
- DISPLAY5.5″ (13.97 cm)
- STORAGE32 GB
- CAMERA16 MP
- BATTERY3000 mAh
- RAM3 GB
- PRICE IN INDIA₹ 13,712
- LAUNCH DATE IN INDIAApril 6, 2018 (Official)
- FINGERPRINT SENSOR POSITIONRear
- OTHER SENSORSLight sensor, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer, Compass, Gyroscope
- FINGERPRINT SENSORYes
- QUICK CHARGINGYes
- OPERATING SYSTEMAndroid v8.1 (Oreo)
- SIM SLOTSDual SIM, GSM+GSM
- MODEL6 2018
- LAUNCH DATEApril 6, 2018 (Official)
- CUSTOM UIAndroid One
- SIM SIZESIM1: Nano SIM2: Nano (Hybrid)
- NETWORK4G: Available (supports Indian bands) 3G: Available, 2G: Available
- FINGERPRINT SENSORYes
- FM RADIOYes RDS
- AUDIO JACK3.5 mm
- CHIPSETQualcomm Snapdragon 630
- GRAPHICSAdreno 508
- PROCESSOROcta core, 2.2 GHz, Cortex A53
- ARCHITECTURE64 bit
- RAM3 GB
- BUILD MATERIALCase: MetalBack: Metal
- THICKNESS8.6 mm
- WIDTH75.8 mm
- WEIGHT172 grams
- HEIGHT148.8 mm
- COLOURSBlack, Blue, White
- DISPLAY TYPEIPS LCD
- ASPECT RATIO16:9
- SCREEN TO BODY RATIO73.76 %
- PIXEL DENSITY401 ppi
- SCREEN PROTECTIONCorning Gorilla Glass v3
- SCREEN SIZE5.5 inches (13.97 cm)
- SCREEN RESOLUTIONFull HD (1080 x 1920 pixels)
- TOUCH SCREENYes Capacitive Touchscreen, Multi-touch
- INTERNAL MEMORY32 GB
- EXPANDABLE MEMORYYes Up to 128 GB
- SETTINGSExposure compensation, ISO control
- CAMERA FEATURESFixed Focus
- IMAGE RESOLUTION4616 x 3464 Pixels
- AUTOFOCUSYes Phase Detection autofocus
- SHOOTING MODESContinuos Shooting, High Dynamic Range mode (HDR)
- RESOLUTION8 MP Front Camera
- PHYSICAL APERTUREF2.0
- FLASHYes Dual-color LED Flash
- VIDEO RECORDING1920×1080 @ 30 fps
- USER REPLACEABLENo
- STANDBY TIMEUp to 507 Hours(2G)
- TALKTIMEUp to 16 Hours(2G)
- QUICK CHARGINGYes Fast
- WIRELESS CHARGINGYes
- CAPACITY3000 mAh
- WIFIYes Wi-Fi 802.11, a/b/g/n
- WIFI FEATURESMobile Hotspot
- BLUETOOTHYes v5.0
- USB TYPECYes (Doesn`t support micro-USB)
- USB CONNECTIVITYMass storage device, USB charging
- NETWORK SUPPORT4G (supports Indian bands), 3G, 2G
- GPSYes with A-GPS, Glonass
- SIM 14G Bands:TD-LTE 2300(band 40) FD-LTE 1800(band 3)3G Bands: UMTS 1900 / 2100 / 850 / 900 MHz2G Bands: GSM 1800 / 1900 / 850 / 900 MHz 4G Speed: 50 Mbit/s ? 150 Mbit/s ? (LTE category 4)3G Speed: HSDPA 42.2 Mbit/s ?, HSUPA 5.76 Mbit/s ?GPRS:Available EDGE:Available
- SIM SIZESIM1: Nano, SIM2: Nano (Hybrid)
- SIM 24G Bands: TD-LTE 2300(band 40) FD-LTE 1800(band 3)3G Bands: UMTS 1900 / 2100 / 850 / 900 MHz 2G Bands: GSM 1800 / 1900 / 850 / 900 MHz 4G Speed: 50 Mbit/s ? 150 Mbit/s ? (LTE category 4) 3G Speed: HSDPA 42.2 Mbit/s ? GPRS:Available EDGE:Available