Kerala Chicken Dum Biriyani Ingredients
Basmati Rice-3/4 kg
Curd – 2tbsp
Onion (medium) – 1/2kg(sliced lengthwise)
Onion small – 4-6 nos for frying
Small onion- 20-25
Tomato –2 (chopped)
Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup(chopped)
Mint leaves (Pudhina) – 1/4cup(chopped)
Garam masala – 1 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder (black)-1/2tsp
Red chilly powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Salt – As reqd
Pineapple-small piece( finely chopped)
Yellow colour-one pinch
Pine apple essence-2drops
Lemon juice -1tsp
Garam masala powder-1tsp
1)Mix all the ingredients for marination along with chicken in a bowl.Keep in the fridge for minimum 20 minutes ..
2)Wash the rice ..soak for 20 minutes ..
3) Add salt ,cloves,cinnamon,and cardamom to the water and boil it..
4) To the boiling water add rice and allow it to cook(until 3/4 cooked)
6)When rice is ¾ th cooked, add ½ tsp ghee and lemon juice into it.Mix well ..
7)Switch off the gas and drain the rice and keep aside.
8)Fry cashew nuts ,raisins and keep that also aside.
9) In a kadai heat oil and add sliced big onion and fry till it become golden colour..Drain and keep aside (If u want to increase the speed of frying then fry in good amount of oil)
10) Heat oil in a pan.Fry the marinated chicken pieces ( till 3/4th ) drain and keep aside .
11) Crush small onion,green chilly ,ginger ,garlic together .
12)In a big kadai heat oil and add this mix and fry it till light brown
13) Then add sliced big onion and sauté till onion turn light brown
Add chilly powder, garam masala, turmeric powder one by one and sauté well.
Now add tomato pieces and cook well ..
Then add mint leaves +coriander leaves +2tsp curd.Stir well.Add pineapple pieces+salt .Add handful of cashew nuts,kismis d fried onion ..Stir well.
Add fried chicken mix well ..Then add small amount hot water to this.
Mix well and cook till the chicken gets soft . When the gravy appears to be dark brown colour and the chicken get soft turn off the gas …Keep aside
14) Now have to bake/Dum the rice and chicken
Take a big vessel and grease it with ghee..Then in the bottom portion of the vessel add the whole chicken and gravy ..
then add one layer of rice ..sprinkle both leaves ,pineapple essence +yellow colour mix(take 1/4cup of water and add pineapple essence and yellow colour and mix),cashew nut mix
Then add another layer of rice..Repeat the process until the rice is finish.Then wrap the vessel with an aluminium foil and close with a tight lid.
Switch on the gas..Take a dosa thattu and place the biriyani vessel on top of that dosa thattu and keep that till 1/2 hours in a very low flame..By that time biriyani will be baked …..Or u can set the oven to 180 degree Celsius and bake for 20 min..
If u want u can add boiled egg b4 serving
So Enjoy Yummy Biriyani 🙂